Every time a new place is about to open in Brussels, we carefully monitor their posts on social media to see if there’s any mention of beer, and sometimes we even just ask which beers they will be serving. NONA didn’t need our encouragement, and one of their photos already showed a tasting of De Ranke beers, to serve in their new Neapolitan pizza restaurant. As it turns out, NONA even has two of their beers on draught! Consequently, we were pretty excited about the place, even before we had tried their pizzas.
We were quite surprised to see four pumps behind the bar, but we soon learnt that two of them were for water: one still, one fizzy. During our visit the two actual beer pumps were pouring XX Bitter and Saison de Dottignies, but they every once in a while, another De Ranke beer will take their place, to keep things interesting. Currently, the draught beers are the only ones available, but you can expect some bottled De Ranke beers in the future.
Brewery De Ranke prides itself on using only “natural raw materials, without adding excipients or artificial ingredients”. That is in fact more or less the approach of NONA as well, which — apart from the excellent beers —explains why they selected this brewery to be their one and only beer supplier. Of course it helps that De Ranke brews a lot of different beer styles, so there’s something to suit everyone’s taste.
The pizzas are Neapolitan, which might be slightly different from what we’re used to in Belgium: a different dough, cooked only for one minute in a 500°C stone oven with an oak-wood fire, resulting in a soft, elastic, tender pizza, making it impossible to pick up a slice with your hands…
There are seven different pizza’s to choose from, four of which are vegetarian. Even necessarily eaten with knife and fork, the Italy’s Tippy-Toe and Ciutto Cotto we had selected, were as tasty as you could expect from all those flavourful organic and local ingredients. The use of seasonal ingredients also means you can expect to see the menu change over the year.
We visited NONA on the very first day it opened, and while it wasn’t our best idea to visit a place with a 500ºC oven when it was already over 30ºC outside, we were very satisfied with everything we tried, served to us with a smile, and a sense of pride. We’ll be back to try the rest of the pizzas when the other De Ranke beers arrive!
- 2 beers on draught
- De Ranke
- Soon, some bottled beers from De Ranke as well
- Neapolitan pizza
Sint-Katelijnestraat 17-19 Rue Sainte-Catherine
+32 2 324 78 79
What have people been drinking here recently?
- MatsudaXIII is drinking a Noir de Dottignies at NONA Pizza
- Stijn Neyens is drinking a Saison de Dottignies at NONA Pizza
- Lies Neyens is drinking a Saison de Dottignies at NONA Pizza
- JorenVdP is drinking a Saison de Dottignies at NONA Pizza
- Michiel Roelandts is drinking a Saison de Dottignies at NONA Pizza
- Daniël Nikkel is drinking a Saison de Dottignies at NONA Pizza
- Maarten Onckelinx is drinking a Saison de Dottignies at NONA Pizza
- Tim Dekegel is drinking a Père Noël at NONA Pizza
- James Johnson is drinking a Saison de Dottignies at NONA Pizza
- Batist Van de Heuningbir is drinking a Père Noël at NONA Pizza