UPDATE: After being closed for a while, it reopened under new management. We have revisited it since, and it seems mostly unchanged.
Once again, we found ourselves in the Marolles, right next to the location of the famous flea market, this time at CHAFF. While the band was getting ready to play later on that evening, we picked a table on the first floor to have a couple of local beers—almost every brewery in Brussels was represented with at least one beer—and something to eat. Despite the large choice of rather healthy looking dishes, we decided to go for the burgers.
The standard food menu of CHAFF contains several gluten-free and vegetarian dishes, made with fresh, local and seasonal products, even organic when possible, but the chalkboard with suggestions always seems to contain a couple of burgers.
We didn’t mind that of all, and we ordered the Pepper Burger, and the Tartufle Burger. They didn’t disappoint at all: plenty of pepper and truffle taste in the respective burgers! We half expected them to be served with chips, but they weren’t, although we have to say € 7 is actually a fair price for these tasty burgers just by themselves. It is however something to keep in mind, if you come in really hungry.
You could always have one of the artisanal dry sausages if you’re peckish again a bit later.
For the early birds visiting the flea market, there are some breakfast options as well, and a more extensive brunch on Sundays.
Two of the five beers on draught are from a local brewery—Delta by Brussels Beer Project, and Taras Bulba by De la Senne—and some other beers from those two brewers are available on bottle. The rest of the bottle list doesn’t look half bad either, with beers by Dupont, De Ranke & Cantillon.
There are also some beers ‘of the moment’ written on another chalkboard. During our visit, those beers were En Stoemelings‘ Vogelpik, and l’Ermitage‘s Noire du Midi, giving a nice sample of the Brussels brewing scene.
It’s worth mentioning CHAFF hosts quite a lot of concerts—every Monday for starters—so you might want to time your beers ‘n’ bites here to either catch a concert, or to avoid it. But we can attest the beers served here go great with live music!
- 5 beers on draught
- Taras Boulba
- Bottle list including Dupont, De Ranke, Brussels Beer Project, De la Senne & Cantillon
- Beers ‘of the moment’
- Includes other local breweries, like En Stoemelings and l’Ermitage
- A whole range of rather healthy dishes
- Breakfasts & Sunday brunch
Vossenplein 21-22 Place du Jeu de Balle
+32 2 502 58 48
What have people been drinking here recently?
- Martijn K is drinking a L’Employeah du Mois at CHAFF
- Petr Kovar is drinking an Ecorcha at CHAFF
- Petr Kovar is drinking a XX Bitter at CHAFF
- Petr Kovar is drinking a L’Employeah du Mois at CHAFF
- Colin B is drinking a Jambe-de-Bois at CHAFF
- Bernd S is drinking a L’Employeah du Mois at CHAFF
- Will Brasdshaw is drinking a St Hubertus Blond at CHAFF
- LucieEnglish is drinking a L’Employeah du Mois at CHAFF
- LucieEnglish is drinking a Pêche Mel Bush at CHAFF
- Will Brasdshaw is drinking a L’Employeah du Mois at CHAFF