UPDATE: Closed permanently…
Nothing about Bélier Bar exactly screams craft beer bar: the modest number of six, unbranded taps could be pouring anything, and the amount of spirits on the shelves behind the bar, would rather give you the impression this is a cocktail bar. They do cocktails indeed, but once you discover the beer list, you’ll immediately see that those are not their only strength!
It turns out that from those six taps at Bélier Bar, two are reserved for Dupont‘s Redor pilsner and their Saison. During our visit, the other four taps were for another Dupont beer, Avec Les Bons Voeux, De Ranke‘s Guldenberg, The Musketeers‘ Troubadour Magma Tropical, and the one foreign draught beer, Toccalmatto‘s Berliner Weisse Dr. Caligari. The bottle and can menu also list beers from De Dochter van de Korenaar, De Leite, Hof ten Dormaal, Alvinne and a couple of the better gueuze blenders. Under ‘imported’ you’ll find Kiuchi from Japan, Mikkeller from Denmark, Lervig from Norway, Cloudwater and Northern Monk from England, and Rogue from the USA. Apart from Cantillon as one of the aforementioned gueuze blenders, Brussels breweries seem to be largely absent.
The food menu consists of about ten, rather refined dishes, which seem to change regularly. We had the stuffed cabbage with minced pork and beef, mushroom and bacon sauce, and the pork cheeks with Vanderghinste beer, candied carrots, green cabbage, and citrus fruits. Both were very tasty, although they could have been a bit more generous with the potatoes: the cabbage dish was accompanied by only two baby potatoes, and the pork cheeks none at all!
Even though the place wasn’t exactly rammed, they didn’t notice my thirsty look—or even bothered to ask me if I wanted to order anything else when they picked up my empty glass. As a result, we didn’t get around to trying some of the beers still unknown to us. Next time, we’ll better just sit at the bar… Nevertheless, because of the slightly different beer selection, and the convenient location right next to the pedestrian zone of Brussels centre, Bélier Bar is worth a visit! It certainly is a great option if you’re with friends who prefer cocktails over beers.
- 6 beers on draught
- Dupont Redor and Saison permanently available
- An impressive bottle list of some Belgian and foreign brewers we love
- About ten refined dishes, regularly changing
+32 2 757 15 27
What have people been drinking here recently?
- Kevin is drinking an Ima at Bélier Bar
- Kevin is drinking a Kayak the Scandinavian Fjords at Bélier Bar
- Tom Roscorla is drinking a Simplex at Bélier Bar
- Tom Roscorla is drinking a Kiss My Neighbour('s Wife) at Bélier Bar
- Tim Van Hissenhoven is drinking a Kiss My Neighbour('s Wife) at Bélier Bar
- Maarten Babeliowsky is drinking a Belle-Fleur at Bélier Bar
- Joël Solé is drinking a Belier at Bélier Bar
- Joël Solé is drinking a Rédor Pils at Bélier Bar
- Jimmy De Bontridder is drinking a Transe Chaman at Bélier Bar
- Maarten van Roey is drinking a Kofi - Brazilian Coffee at Bélier Bar