UPDATE: Closed permanently…
We’ve discussed a couple of buvettes and guingettes in parks before, but the hot and sunny weather forces us to drink outside again… Not that we mind! This time, we visited Bar Eliza in the Elisabethpark, a bar quite unlike the other park bars we visited so far. For starters, Eliza isn’t exactly in it for the money, but it’s ran by a couple of local foundations, of which you might already recognise community centers De Platoo and De Zeyp as organisers of the Plazey festival.
A second thing in which Bar Eliza differs from a couple of other park bars: proper glassware! That means you’ll get your beer in the correct brewery branded glasses. Our beer of choice here is De la Senne‘s Zinnebir, since the other draught beers are just couple of InBev beers. In bottle, the only non-InBev beer available is Verstraete‘s strong golden ale Papegaei.
You wouldn’t really go to Eliza for dinner, but if you get a bit peckish after a couple of hours in the cool shade of the trees—it definitely is a lot cooler here than in the concrete jungle of Brussels centre—there are a couple of snacks available: soup, wraps, pasta, and some tapas. On Sundays, Eliza provides a complete English breakfast/brunch from 11h00.
Since being a bar is not the only purpose of Bar Eliza, you’ll notice they have a full schedule of events: yoga, Dutch conversation tables (De Platoo and De Zeyp are community centers run by the Flemish Community Commission), concerts, upcycling workshops, film projections, story telling, and—probably the most peculiar activity—DIY pizza baking in the outdoor wood-fired pizza oven, every Sunday between noon and six. Another side effect of the foundation structure, is the use of tokens instead of cash. But no worries, you can pay by card as well.
Bar Eliza is a seasonal bar, which means it will only be open until the start of September, so enjoy it while you can!
- 4 beers on draught
- Soup, some wraps, pasta, and some tapas
- Brunch on Sunday
Elisabethpark / Parc Elizabeth
+32 497 32 50 85
What have people been drinking here recently?
- Joeri T. is drinking a Saison Vandekelder at Bar Eliza
- Oli is drinking a Papegaei at Bar Eliza
- Oli is drinking a Zinnebir at Bar Eliza
- Hannah C. is drinking a Zinnebir at Bar Eliza
- Martijn K. is drinking a Zinnebir at Bar Eliza
- Kjetil is drinking a Papegaei at Bar Eliza
- Lars W. is drinking a Zinnebir at Bar Eliza
- Jonas L. is drinking a Zinnebir at Bar Eliza
- Dirk Bosmans is drinking a Zinnebir at Bar Eliza
- Benny Hautman is drinking a Tripel Karmeliet at Bar Eliza